Wednesday, May 21, 2008

So, I just watched Evan Almighty. Not a horrible movie. I do love Lauren Graham and Morgan Freeman. Anyway, I heard this speech that God gives to Evan's wife and it really hit home for me.

God: I love that story, Noah and the Ark. You know, a lot of people miss the point of that story. They think it’s about God’s wrath and anger. They love it when God gets angry.


Joan: What is the story about, then? The ark?

God: Well, I think it’s a love story about believing in each other. You know, the animals showed up in pairs. They stood by each other, side by side, just like Noah and his family. Everybody entered the ark side by side.


Joan: But my husband says God told him to do it. What do you do with that?

God: Sounds like an opportunity. Let me ask you something. If someone prays for patience, do you think God gives them patience? Or does he give them the opportunity to be patient? If they pray for courage, does God give them courage, or does he give them opportunities to be courageous? If someone prayed for their family to be closer, you think God zaps them with warm, fuzzy feelings? Or does he give them opportunities to love each other? Well, I got to run. A lot of people to serve. Enjoy.

At the moment I am sitting and waiting for a job assignment. Now, don't get me wrong, I am completely thankful that I have a contract and a job for next year, but the waiting for an assignment is killing me. I am watching all of the the teachers plan for next year. I am helping as best I can, but it's hard when you don't know what you're planning for. I am not, by nature, a patient person. I was praying for patience and it just wasn't happening. I guess I was hoping that a pill would just pop into my hand and all would be well. What I realized was that God had actually given me the opportunity to be patient. DUH! I feel like the people in those V8 commercials that get thunked in the head. Thus began my journey into the world of patience. I of course have failed miserably, but I keep getting up, dusting myself off, and marching on.

Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD.Psalm 27:14

2 comments:

Both Fex said...

That scene is the main reason I bought that movie (that and Steve Carrell's dance moves). Thanks for the morning reminder of the opportunities God gives us.

Kathie said...

Ok, just need to let you know this is very timely--thanks. I am all about trying to recognize "practice" moments now. The patience-tryers in my life aren't tests; they're practice. Cool!