Tuesday, May 13, 2008

God is good

Just about the time I am feeling as though I am at the very bottom, God does something wonderful and fills my soul will light.

Explanation...

About two weeks ago my dad was diagnosed with kidney cancer (renal cell carcinoma to be more exact). He went through many, many tests and they decided that removing his left kidney was really the only treatment as this type of cancer apparently does not respond to chemo or other such treatments. He waited patiently, ok, maybe not so patiently, for two weeks. His surgery was this morning and was a complete success. We have to wait for about five days for the pathology report, but the surgeon thought everything looked pretty good and seems to think that he was able to remove the entire tumor. The kidney was huge seeing as it was mostly tumor. Yucky! The digital age is wonderful because they were able to take a picture of the kidney right after they took it out. Did I say yucky? Excuse any typos - I have been up since 4am because I went to the hospital with my parents this morning.

I can't really say why I didn't write about this earlier. I really felt that he needed the prayers, but somewhere in me I felt that the more I talked about the cancer, the more "real" it became. These past couple of weeks have really sucked for our whole family, not just for me. It really does put some things in perspective. Life is short and family is precious. I'm not completely sure what I would have done if I had lost my dad and I'm glad that today was not the day to find that out. Rather than praying for a good outcome I found myself praying for peace about whatever outcome God had planned. That was really difficult, but seemed to be the right thing for me to do. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but I'm glad, beyond words, that our Lord was not ready to call him home today. I need him here with me for a while longer.

In other news, Paul Bunyan is off to Prom this Saturday. Am I really that old?

Hug your loved ones really tight tonight...for my dad!

2 comments:

Liann said...

Wonderful news!! I'm so glad. Thanks for sharing some good stuff that is really hard to talk about.

Both Fex said...

Just read this. Glad to hear he is well. Thinking of you all.