Thursday, August 02, 2007

I LOVE TEACHING!

Ok, just had to get that out there. The last few days have been a blur of wonderful and terrifying events. I will try to write this out so it makes sense...I'm no Michael you know so you will have to bear with me.

Day 1 - Monday
I got up at O dark thirty because I was worried that I would be late for my first day. Ok, so it was actually 5:30 but you get the idea. I got all dressed up, made lunch and coffee, put on make up (that tells you how important this was to me), and left the house with tons of time to spare. The drive was uneventful and I arrived at school about 20 minutes early. I primped once more in the car, took a deep breath, said my last prayer, and marched inside as though I had worked there forever. Well, the office manager was out of the office so I couldn't get keys and I was told that I couldn't actually get into my room because the tracks overlap for that particular day. Ok, now what? I went back to the car, head hanging low and trying not to cry, and called Kathie. Utterly defeated and I hadn't even started yet. I would love to tell you that the day got better...it did not. After a pep talk from Kath I decided I would just make some copies. This is where the day got a little brighter. A very nice Kinder teacher (they do not change classrooms) took me under her wing and to her room to get some work done. She made sure that I knew some of the school rules, taught me how to read the cards about the students, and made sure I got to the staff meeting on time. When we were done with the meeting she made sure that I rode in her car to go to lunch with my track teachers. Here is the best part -- As soon as we sat down to eat, she began to pray. God had sent me a Christian! Hallelujah! I finally got into my class at 2pm and worked feverishly until 6:30. The whole day was filled with the phrase, "Oh, by the way did you know...?" I now hate that phrase. Oh ya , at this point, I still did not have my TE's for math or language. No big deal, right? :(

Are you still with me?

I did not sleep at all on Monday night so Tuesday started with total and utter exhaustion. I was able to get into my room that day and things started to feel much better. I started to relax and my room started to come together. People came out of the woodwork to meet me and to stop by and check on me. One nice teacher spent most of his day looking for my TE's and my cabinets containing ALL of my supplies. At some point I wandered to the office and found a sweet note from my guardian angel in my box. The last "by the way" came Tuesday afternoon when someone decided to tell me that all Wednesdays are minimum days. That would have been nice to know say, a week ago. All in all, Tuesday was a much better day and I slept through the night. Could I have used "started" a couple more times? I'm too tired to change it so, deal!

Wednesday was amazing. The day started with running into my angel in the parking lot and having her tell me that she prayed for me the night before. Of course, exhausted and nervous, I started to cry. Anyway, the day was so exciting and my kids are great, despite rumors that they were all devil spawn. Don't get me wrong, I have some challenging issues, but the kids are sweet and kind and a ton of fun.

Today was equally as awesome. I can't believe how tired I am. So tired that I wont be re-reading this post for quality. Sorry, you will all just have to deal with that fact. I feel like there is so much more to tell, but it will have to wait for another day.

I LOVE MY JOB.

4 comments:

Both Fex said...

Yea! Go Teacher Holly!

Chris said...

That's funny. As soon as you mentioned that other teacher, I thought "Christian".

I love how God uses love between Christians as a testimony to the world. Way cool.

This is exciting! Keep us posted.

Kathie said...

This is so great, Joey! I know you have a busy weekend ahead of you, but get some good rest, too!

Christina said...

Yay! I'm so glad for you Holly, that you got a wonderful teacher there to help you, and that things are working out for you. I know that the year will be full of challenges, but it sounds like you're off to a good start and you have a great attitude! I would have cried when they told me I couldn't actually get into my classroom yet when I thought I could get into it...so you're better than I am! You are still in my prayers, and will be throughout the year, and I'm so happy to hear that after the first day you love the job :)