Wednesday, July 25, 2007

I went to visit my principal yesterday and took a tour of the school. The school is lovely and the staff was very kind and helpful. This school seems to have it all buttoned up on the support side of things. We have a TOA (teacher on assignment) assigned to new teacher on each track. I'm lucky, I'm the only new teacher on my track. This teacher is assigned to shadow me for the year and help me with anything I need. I also have supplies galore. They will give me anything I need, I just have to ask. The only bummer is that I have to change classrooms at the end of each trimester. They do give me a rolling cart that I put all of my supplies in and the custodian moves to the new class so it wont be too bad. It sounds like the entire school is going to a modified traditional calendar next year so I wont have to change classrooms.

I got my TEs and my info about my students. It is going to be a tough and interesting year based on what is written on the students' cards. I definitely have my work cut out for me and will most definitely be leaning on any teacher that offers support. My next few days are going to be spent planning, planning, planning. I have two days in my class before the students arrive and I should be able to spend most of the time setting up lessons, making copies, and laminating. Having a borrowed class means that I can't do too much decorating.

I LOVE THIS!

4 comments:

Kathie said...

You are hilarious--the whole last paragraph lays out challenge after challenge, and what do you type right after all that?

"I LOVE THIS!"

God clearly has you in the right job, Babe! I am SO glad you finally got into the building and discovered all the support they have. Have a ball!

Liann said...

Hollita,

Congratulations Teach! I don't think you need any advice if you trust your instincts and pray cause it's an impossible job alone. Just know you'll be exhausted and take your Airborne.

You already have your own style. My experience has been that every day is triumphs and failures and mysteries that it seems only I see, but that's why we love it, cause it's good.

Christina said...

Woohoo! Exciting stuff!! I'm envious of the support you have and that you'll be the only new teacher on your track. I know you'll do great, despite your challenging student load. Of course, you never know what they're actually going to be like in person! My school is all new teachers; not only new to my school, but we're all new teachers. So, we'll be fumbling through it together, but I wish I had someone who had these grade levels down pat to help guide me through.

Keep us updated as your year begins; it's so exciting!

Christina said...

How did your first day go??? I was thinking about you while I was sitting in New Teacher's Academy today. I want to hear all the goods, whenever you catch your breath enough to share :) *hugs* and *prayers* for you!!