Friday, July 13, 2007

Running on empty

It's almost 4am and it's pretty obvious that sleep is out of reach at the moment. Note to self - Never, and I mean never, work two jobs again. I am teaching six days of summer school and working at the conference center every day. My dreams alternate between parents and administration heckling me because I know NOTHING about ancient civilizations and guests yelling at me because the bowl they painted didn't have the specs of green like the picture. So here I sit typing. Actually, because I am so exhausted, mostly backspacing because my already deficient spelling gene is dulled due to lack of sleep.

Fear is taking over and the joy of becoming a teacher is sitting very far in the back of my brain. Because the school is year round I can't get into my classroom until the 30th and the kids start on the 1st and that is causing some severe anxiety. I have so many questions and nobody to answer them until the 30th. My teacher list is huge right now and, to be perfectly honest, I don't really care about ancient China. I will of course eventually look like I care. I'm really worried that I have spent so much time planning the little things in the class like the prize box and the color of the reward tickets but I haven't seen a teacher's edition of any of my subjects.

My house is full of boys. That alone is enough to cause a break down. Too many boys! Everywhere I go...BOYS! For those of you that don't have boys in your house, they smell. They smell bad. Four of them between the ages of 9 and 16 smell really bad. They are also messy little buggers. I have run my dishwasher two times a day for the last seven days. That can't be good. Apparently, your head will explode if you use the same glass twice.

I suppose I should head back to bed seeing as I have to get up in a couple of hours to teach 1st grade. On the very cute and happy side, little Memo looked at me yesterday and told me had the "hipups".

Just in case you were wondering. When your bowl comes out of the kiln and it is not the color you expected it to be, the bowl suddenly and very dramatically becomes useless. Go figure. I guess my parents did something right...In my book, a bowl of any color can hold some cold cereal.

2 comments:

Kathie said...

Oh my gosh--God bless you for using your currently wretched existence to make me laugh out loud this morning! Smelly boys and cold cereal--I am dying!

I will be praying for you to get sleep, smell the roses (any roses)and have a SUPER start to the school year.

And if you were here, we'd be fixing all this with 'ritas. That's right!

I was just being a total pity hound when I called you yesterday--you should feel blessed you couldn't answer!

Chris said...

We do not smell. Not all the time anyways.

Well, Mike does. Just not the rest of us.

Hang in there Holly - and take heart. You'll pull it off!