Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Ok, so it's time for an update.

To blog, or to grade: that is the question.

I want to write, but I also need to grade. I know, Kathie is laughing her butt off right now. Teaching is wonderful and painful at the same time. It is far more rewarding than the hospitality industry, but still frustrating. Things are going fine and my kids are great...most of the time. These kids get so much stuff and they just keep expecting more. They have no idea how little other students get for the school year. My kids got: pencil boxes, pencils, crayons, colored pencils, markers, rulers, glue, glue sticks, 2 inch binders, divider tabs, dictionaries, pencil pouches, scissors, assignment notebooks, composition books, pink erasers, pens, highlighters, and more filler paper than anyone could possibly use. It's amazing. If I find one more broken and free pencil on the floor, I will probably come unglued. I want to drive the extra supplies up to our non-Title 1 schools here and pass them out to the teachers that have to buy this stuff on their own. UGH!

Ok, enough of that. I really do love what I do. The kids are great and the staff is amazing. The Teacher on Assignment (TOA) assigned to me is also a Christian. They have a staff prayer time every Thursday. I invited myself to the festivities and they were thrilled to have me show interest. It sounds like much of the staff is somewhat religious and participates in the prayer time so I am excited to see it for myself tomorrow. The entire staff has been wonderful. People stop by my room to check on me and when in the hallways, they always make sure to ask about my day and my kids. I have never worked with such a kind and caring staff (except LGE, of course). A little footnote...I do miss Nancy and Janet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so sad that I wont get to work with Janet again before she retires. God was kind and let me work with her for a little while.

Did any of this make any sense? I'm tired and I have had a couple glasses of wine. Wine makes grading the writing so much more bearable. I will deny that if anyone repeats it, but it's the truth. It also makes grading worksheets on subjects and predicates less frustrating. When was the last time you needed to tell someone about a subject and a predicate? Think about that. I haven't thought about that since the 7th grade.

No comments: