Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ahhhhhh! Long day. I am still mulling over the master's dilemma. Tim says I should do it and that makes me happy. We already have so much debt though, I hate to add more right now, but if I don't do this soon, I wont ever do it.

Do I want the degree. Yes, I think I do. Do I want to go back to school for the next 14 months? NO. I found a college that is online and the credits are accepted in out district. I also have the opportunity to do this particular program with one of the other teachers on my 6th grade team. We work well together and have been talking about this for the last year and a half. Working with her would make the whole deal a little more bearable.

I'm gonna chew on it a little bit more. Thanks for the advice, encouragement, and scary math reasoning.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Hi Holly,

I just checked in on your blog and saw you mulling over an issue I feel very comfortable commenting on...

Chris's math is great. Plus, there are the emotional and personal benefits of having done this-- the sense of accomplishment, the neat extra letters to string after your name if you want to, the higher pay scale, the learning itself, the modeling for others and the admiration and support you'll get in return...

Full disclosure: I work for a company that "coaches" students at the beginning of their academic programs, so I am always a bit biased in favor of people going after that degree if it's something they want. It's such a great investment in yourself and your job stability and marketability.

And if the idea of having someone to coach you-- check in with you each week, help you prioritize and stay focused, give you extra support and cheerleading purely for your own benefit and so you'll get the most for your money and time-- sounds interesting, check out Chapman University College in Victor Valley (or Ontario or Moreno Valley), or possibly U of Redlands (although we might only work with their Ed PhD program, can't remember)... and you will get one of my coworkers as your very own, free-of-charge coach for the first term or two!

Sorry for the plug-- of course you should pursue any program that works for you. I couldn't resist, simply as a way of offering more support, not to be obnoxious about where I work. :>

But anyway, I'm adding my encouragement to the rest. Go for it, and good for you!

Kate (MA, MFA...ha ha! See? Fun!):>