Wednesday, November 01, 2006

My turn on the soap box!

Ok, so my first thought was to reply to Christina's post about stupid, gossiping people but I decided that I had way too much to say to put it in a response, so here goes!

What ever happened to parental responsibility? Those moms that Christina saw at the soccer game probably think that there is too much homework because it conflicts with soccer practice, nail appointments, weekday church functions, play dates, shopping, etc. I can't tell you how many parents I have run into, in just the last couple of months of being a teacher, that are upset by homework because it conflicts with their own schooling. Give me a break! Do you want your kids to succeed or do you want them to be a complete and utter failure? If you want them to succeed and be an asset to society, they need to be your first priority! Homework, if given for the right reasons and checked over by parents, serves a very valuable purpose. They had homework as children and our children's children will have homework. That's how school works. Most teachers don't give actual "homework" much anymore anyway. Most of the homework is classwork that the student did not complete becuase they did not use their time wisely in the first place.

Now, for the test scores at the school they were talking about...They don't know what they are talking about and they don't have any idea what happened with the test scores. Most of the teachers at that school are amazing and care a ton about the students and their jobs. They are only gossiping and we all know where that leads. With the second year of school improvement, they are welcome to send their children to a different school and yes, the district does have to pay for it. But, lets face it, if these parents don't want to deal with homework, they are not going to want to deal with their children being bussed to another school in a different city. They don't have the follow through to help with school work so they will not follow through with their threats to pull their children. Not to mention, the minute they tell their children that they have to leave their friends and teacher and move to a different school, things at home will not be pretty. They are welcome to send them to a private school. Many private schools are expensive and require much more parental involvement than public schools. Let's not even talk about the fact the you don't need a credential to teach in most private schools. Go for it laides!

Ok, back to parental responsibility...We teachers only have the kids for six hours a day and those six hours includes recess or recesses and lunch. Who is responsible for the other 18 hours in the day? Some parents feel that learning should only happen at school. Ok, but I have 29 other students. I don't have the time to work with each student individually on the math facts they should already know by fifth grade. What are parents doing with the rest of the day? Working? Ok, I will give them that but I was a single mom and Christina is a single mom and neither of us believe that teachers are the only people responsible for our children's learning, grades, and success. Sadly, we are not the majority. I am willing to bet the paycheck that I would be getting if I got paid for student teaching that Christina never puts her homework before the welfare of her children. I'm thinking that she does Donovan's homework and saves hers for after the kids go to bed. Just the way Michael puts his kids before his grading. That's what parents do. Why have kids if you want the schools to raise them? That's a whole other soap box topic.

Ok, I think I'm done...you can stop laughign Kath!

5 comments:

Christina said...

Amen Holly! Thank you, I quite enjoyed reading that, and I completely agree. It astounds me how kids are coming to school these days. The class that I will be observing for my first TPA is just downright disturbing. Three of the kids see a psychologist, one lives with a grandmother because neither parent can have custody, one's a voluntary mute, many live with just one parent, and two are foster children. I'm not saying that these things necessarily mean the kids are going to fail or be miserable or anything of that sort, but it shows how chaotic and unstable their lives are. How are they supposed to be able to learn anything at school? I seriously doubt their minds are on their studies, and yet, their test scores are going to be their teacher's fault? It's amazing how people think that the home environment and parent involvement have nothing to do with the kids' school performance. Grr.

Anonymous said...

I just have to let people know that you were this fanatic about this topic long before you were teaching. You already knew that the right thing was to put your kid first and that the school was not 100% responsible for your child's success.

But I am guessing that hanging with my mom for seven weeks pretty much added significant height to the soap box ;)

You go, girl!

Anonymous said...

New blog picture in honor of Holly!

This is exactly what my students thought of me, by the way :)

Both Fex said...

New skin?!! Awwww, but I liked the strawberry pink. *pouts*

Miss your face!

Christina said...

Holly, I can see why you loved those kiddos so much! I can't believe how nice Nancy's kids are this year! I subbed for her today, and I have to say it was by far my most enjoyable day subbing yet. I've enjoyed all the classes (except my mom's, to be honest), but I LOVE the older kids. This was a nice group too, but I love the ability for independent work, the knowledge, the ability to joke around with them, etc. GREAT day! They were very excited that I knew you, btw...lol